Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Sound of Music

One day, after I'd just pulled into the driveway from a long day of travel my Mom called asking me if I wanted to audition for The Sound of Music. After a brief conversation I agreed to audition since they hadn't had anyone come at that point that could play Maria. I drove over to their town and sang "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" from Showboat. (Gratefully I'd been singing it to the girls a lot so it wasn't too rusty from when I sang it in the Broadway review in March.)

I sang. Everyone cried. My poor mom cried in the bathroom for around 30 minutes. No one knew I could sing like that. My mom knew I had a nice voice, but didn't know what I could really do. I've always played dance roles and she was out of town for the Broadway review.

They did get some other women who auditioned later that day that could play Maria so we had callbacks. I got the part of Maria.

I loved doing the show. It was so fun to perform again. I loved working with the cast and learning so much from them. I didn't love getting so nervous before each show I thought I might throw up, or falling down the stairs (I have a really bad history with stairs), or having to leave my family at night. It was extremely hard on them. I won't do another show for a while. Not until the girls are bigger.

BUT...I really love musical theatre! If I didn't have a family who needed me I could be in the Theatre all day every day and not realize that an hour went by.

Here are some pictures from the show.











The most memorable moment for me was when the sound cut out right before me and Liesl's song! We sat there waiting for the music. I made up a couple of lines. Then I started singing a capella and hoped for the best, lol! Liesl (who was playing her first non dance role also) jumped right in! It was awesome. A couple of the audience members told me that we made them cry! Yay!

Captain Von Trapp worked SO hard to learn the dance, and he did great!

The kids were so darling and so fun to work with!

We got a lot of really wonderful compliments. (The sweetest thing said to me was that they liked me better then Carrie Underwood, and maybe even Julie Andrews, lol! Although I think that is a stretch. One little boy told his mom he really liked the scene when Maria goes back to the Abbey and the Mother Abbess sings Climb Every Mountain, because I'm really good at being sad! Another woman, who is actually from Austria, came up and squeezed my face and told me that I was "wonderful! Just wonderful!") The seats filled up more and more every night. It was a great experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment