Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Preparations

This week Allan and I got pictures taken for our adoption pass-along cards!  There is a sister in our ward that is a photographer, and she took the pictures and designed the cards for free.  That was a really great blessing.  The pictures turned out great.  She did a really good job.  We are going over to look at the cards today.  We'll be bringing the final product with us to hand out during Christmas so get ready!  We had a lot of fun taking the pictures, but it felt a lot like we were taking our engagements all over again.  We're hoping that the next time we take pictures we'll have a child - it will be a lot more fun, and interesting, that way.

We also did a lot of shopping this week.  By the end of the week poor Allan was so sick of Walmart that he actually did get sick!  We did most of our shopping online on cyber Monday, and I have to give a shout out to a certain sister-in-law who chatted with me while I shopped.  Thanks for keeping me entertained, I may have gone completely crazy with out you!  We were successful though and got all of our Christmas shopping done in that one day!  Hooray!  Just a few more hand-made gifts to go, and we're done!  We got some really great deals too:).

We set up our Christmas tree and managed to fit all of mine and Allan's ornaments on it.  I have at least two ornaments for every year I've been alive and Allan has a few as well.  Our poor tree is pretty small but so far it's made it every year.




This year some of the lights didn't work so we had to make an emergency stop at Walmart late Friday night (after we'd already been there that day), I think that's the one the got Allan.  He just couldn't take the shopping anymore.

Our little town holds a parade of lights the first Saturday of December every year and, of course, we went.  It was quite chilly (still nothing compared to where we've lived before), and we finally had to break out our winter gear.  It was a lot of fun though, and the people were really creative.  There were several semi trailers decked out in holiday decorations.  My favorite was Candy Land themed; we didn't get a picture though because the batteries died.  There was also a John Deere Tractor decorated as Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer

 

the writing on the window says "Santa's favorite deere", very creative. All of the horses were covered in lights and the fire department from two different towns came.  One was "pulling" their fire truck as reindeer, and the other fire truck was carrying Santa Claus.  Here are a few pictures of the parade:


Me, freezing.


Allan, catching cold.


A good example of what the floats looked like.

We had a blast with the Sunbeams this week.  They were more reverent than they've been in a long time!  I was the first one there this time, and when the first little boy walked in and saw me his eyes lit up, he gave me a huge smile and trotted over to sit next to me and tell me all about his week.  Such a cutie!  It made me feel very loved.  Allan had quite the experience with two of the boys while taking them to the bathroom. This is where I take over for a minute. One of the little boys has a tough time coming to Primary, but is doing better. Last week he had walked over to the door, but I had almost convinced him to stop crying when someone randomly opened the door right as his Dad was walking by. That ended his stay in Primary for awhile. So this week when I left the room with this boy and another boy, I went through the door only to turn and see both of his parents coming our way. All 3 of us froze and stared at each other, but luckily their little boy was still looking the other way. I quickly shoved the 2 little boys into the hallway that led to the ladies' bathroom, hoping that he wouldn't see his parents. As they quickly turned and walked the other way, both little boys looked up and started teaching me all about how we were supposed to be going to the other bathroom, not the girls' bathroom (The other little boy was the one that wanted to go in the girls' bathroom a few weeks ago. He had learned his lesson well, and was now very confused.) All I could think of to say was, "I know, we are going to the boys' bathroom, we just have to stand here for a minute." It's a good thing that four year-olds are so trusting.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment