Monday, April 29, 2013

The Waiting Room

A week before my Poe passed away I had a really interesting dream.

I had died and was suddenly in a place where there were a lot of people standing in several different lines.  The people at the head of each line would tell you where you were to go, Heaven or Hell.

It came to my turn and the man simply told me to go through a certain door.  I started to ask where I was going but he was already talking with the person behind me.  So I walked toward the door, and as I walked I watched as people each went through their own assigned doors.  All the while I remember thinking, "where am I going, and where do their doors lead to?"

I finally arrived at my door as another person entered ahead of me.  I remember feeling relieved that I wouldn't have to go alone, but the person was going so quickly I soon lost sight of him.  Through the door was a long hallway that I traveled through.  It was lit only dimly, just enough to walk through safely.  After I was down the hallway a bit another person entered through the door, but we were spaced at such a distance from each other that we couldn't speak to each other.

Eventually there was another door at the end of this long hallway.  I went through and entered a beautiful white room.  It was so white that it seemed to glow.  It was set up similar to a family room with cozy white couches and chairs, and pictures of families on the white walls.  Everything was white.  There was an older couple in the room, dressed in white, who were gathering the people together and explaining that as soon as we were all there we would move on.

The person who was behind me in the hallway slipped through the door and the older couple told us all where we would be going.  We would be going to Heaven.  And they described a little of what to expect there.

Soon the doors on the other end of the room opened.  They emitted a bright, white light.  Much brighter and whiter than the room we were in and nothing like I had seen before.  Everyone went through.  But I stayed.  I just couldn't go.  I quietly sat down on a couch that faced the door I'd come through.  After a moment the older woman came up to me and told me that I could go to Heaven now, it was time.  I said, "Please let me stay.  I would like to wait here until my husband comes so we can go together."

She responded that I could wait as long as it took.  She told me that the room I was in was called the waiting room and the pictures on the walls were of families who had waited for each other in the room.

And so, I waited.  Many people came through the door and each time some one entered I always hoped it was Allan, but I was always disappointed.  Two groups gathered in the waiting room and went on to Heaven as I waited, but I couldn't go on without him.  It really wouldn't be Heaven if he wasn't there with me.  We have always shared everything and I needed to share this with him too.

Finally, when I was alone in the waiting room (besides the older couple, they were always there), the door opened and Allan stepped through.  I was so, so happy to see him.  We ran to each other, greeting with hugs and kisses like we always do.  I explained to Allan how I couldn't go on without him and that I'd been waiting there for quite a while.  After a few moments the older couple came to us and told us it was time to go. 

We stepped through the doors to Heaven hand in hand and explored the place together, meeting family and friends who had gone on before us.

I woke up shortly after.

At my Poe's funeral, a week later, my Aunt T said something about how she hoped Poe was waiting for her and they could go on together.  I think he is, Aunt T.  I think he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment