Sunday, April 21, 2013

A's First Visiting Teaching Appointment

Allan and I only have one car.  We keep thinking we're going to buy one, and then something comes up, and we continue to wait.  Sometimes, like the day I went visiting teaching, a second car would be really nice.

I really enjoy walking, and since the girl I was visiting only lived a mile away I decided to walk instead of ask my companion for a ride.  I checked the map to make sure I knew where I was going and A was on schedule to eat about 5 minutes after the appointment began so I gathered up her things and went to put her in the moby wrap for our walk.

She decided she wanted to eat a 1/2 hour early.  She was VERY insistent.  So I quickly made her bottle and again tried to put her in the moby wrap so I could feed her as I was walking.  (If this ever happens to you just call your companion for a ride!)  She was fighting me really hard so I couldn't get her in the wrap very well but we started out anyway.  She was in the wrap just enough that it supported her but not well enough for me to let go of her at all.

So, picture this:

A woman walking down the road with a baby half hanging out of a moby wrap.  The woman is holding the baby with one hand and holding a bottle with the other.  She is also trying - in vain - to hold a blanket over her baby's head so the sun doesn't burn her, but the wind is blowing so hard that it's almost futile.

Don't worry she didn't get sunburned.  She gobbled up her milk happily while she looked around at all the new things to see.

We walked down the road the way I thought we were supposed to go and arrived at the highway.  I was pretty sure the map didn't show the highway, so I turned around and went another way.  When I was almost there a kind woman asked if she could give us a ride, but I turned it down because we didn't have a carseat for little A.  We arrived to the appointment about 15 minutes late.  Both the girl I visit teach and my companion had forgotten about the appointment, lol!

We had a nice visit, and then I discovered that the highway is also 1st Ave - the street I was supposed to walk down.  I had doubled my walking distance for no reason!

A and I walked home (the right way this time), and A had a nice long nap in the sling.  She was a happy little camper, and because I didn't have to feed her and she was in the sling all the way this time, I was a happy little camper too!

Maybe it wasn't so bad after all. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment