Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Does my Mom know?"

Allan and I had a lot of fun this week.  We started the week off with a game of croquet for Family Night.  Allan beat me soundly the first game.  The sun had started to go down so for the second game we raced each other instead of taking turns.  I beat Allan on that one - but just barely.  We went and got some ice cream that night too, to celebrate our freedom from school loans!  Hooray!

We made some chocolate chip cookies on Tuesday for Allan to bring to work and they were delicious!  I was so relieved because I ALWAYS mess up on chocolate chip cookies.  When I make them they are always flat and hard.  Thankfully Allan was there to help me this time and everything went well.  They were a big success at work!

I made Grandma's sugar cookies on Wednesday - they turned out great too!  I had good luck in the cookie making area this week.  Thank goodness for the Lord's tender mercies!  The little girl I used to babysit broke her leg so I took the cookies over to her on Thursday and we frosted them together along with her brothers and sister.  I really enjoyed being with them and they really enjoyed the cookies!  Unfortunately I left them with a messy house and bellyaches!  They just couldn't stop eating those cookies.  I left to their dad saying "Wow, these are reeeally gooood!!" Grandma's cookies never fail to please! Allan wants to say - Especially when Kami makes them

I got to do some volunteer work this week as well and that was a lot of fun.  They do a food drive here on the second Wednesday of every month.  A semi full of food from a food pantry in Tucson comes down to one of the ball parks.  We help unload the truck and then hand it out to the people as they drive by in their cars.  It is me, a couple of elderly women, a couple of men, and all of the missionaries in the area.  I have gone once before and planned on helping every month but we have been out of town the second week of every month since I last went!  They were surprised to see me again!  Hopefully I'll be able to go more often in the future.

On Saturday we had lunch with a man that Allan works with who is from Sierra Leone.  He made us a delicious African meal and sent us home with leftovers!  It was so yummy!  He also showed us some pictures of where he lives - which is gorgeous - and of his beautiful family.  He is here working on a Ph.D.  He and his wife have 4 children the youngest of whom was born after he left and he has never met.  He will be here for at least 3 more years and they don't have the money for visits with in that time.  Hearing his story made me very grateful for the opportunities our country provides us.  I am so amazed at the sacrifices that some people make for the betterment of themselves, their family, and their countries.  It makes the sacrifices we have made seem so very small.

At church today one of the little boys rushed up to me to show me that he had remembered to bring his scriptures.  I told him how proud I was of him and then told him I would be babysitting him tomorrow.  He got very excited about it and started talking about how much fun we were going to have together and then he stopped and said "Does my Mom know?"  I love kids so much!  They are hilarious!  I assured him that his mom definitely knew!

Allan surprised me with some beautiful flowers this week!  They are so cheerful and really brightened up our home!






1 comment:

  1. I love flowers and you are right those ones are very cheery and happy! That is so fun to read about your week and that cute little boy you get to babysit tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete