Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Mom and A Dad

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to babysit for a woman who recently went through a divorce.  She has great kids and I had a lot of fun with them.  While we were playing a game one of her boys asked me if I was having a baby.  I told him that we hoped we would be receiving one in November.  Then he said, "So your pregnant."  I said I wasn't pregnant and he looked at me like "How is that possible!?"

Trying to explain adoption to young children can be really hard and very confusing.

I told him that there was another girl that was pregnant and that she was thinking about placing her child with Allan and I.

He asked, "Why would someone do that? Doesn't she want her baby?"

I told him that she absolutely wants her baby.  She loves her baby very much and wants it to have the best and happiest life possible.  She wants her baby to have a mom and dad to take care of it, so she's thinking about placing it with us.

Then he smiled his understanding and said, "That's what we want, a mom AND a dad."

We then had good talk about divorce, I told them that my parents are divorced but my parents married again and now I have four loving parents instead of just two!  They seemed to receive some comfort from that and they told me how they hoped their mom would get married again.  I told them I hoped so too.

Having a mom and a dad is one of the biggest reasons women place their babies for adoption.  Often times they have the ability, through their own means or help from family, to parent their children.  It's not that they don't want their child - they do.  It's not that they don't think they could do a good job as a parent - they can.  It's not that they aren't enough - they are.

But they want their child to have a mom and a dad.

Two parents who love each other and have a good relationship with one another. This is what we hope to give to a child.


1 comment:

  1. Ahh..The children that you are touching.. Those children are blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete