Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Old Age is Coming Quickly

I spent the first two days of this week without Allan.  He was in Utah helping with a career fair.  I usually travel with him, but since we just came back from Utah, and he was only going to be gone for two days, we thought we'd save some money and leave me at home.

While he was gone I went to a girls night.  I can't remember the last time I went to a girls night...but it was fun.  I got to know some nice women in our ward that I hadn't really met before, and a woman who is not in our ward - but I wish she was because she is absolutely hilarious!  At one point in the evening a couple of the girls started talking about how they are 25 and when they get close to thirty they will feel "SO OLD"!  I about spit my water all over the room because I was trying to hold back my laughter!  I am 29 (very close to 30), I didn't realize I was "SO OLD"!  (LOL!)  This isn't the first time that's happened though and I always get a big kick out of the shock it creates when people learn that I am closer to 30 than 20.  Just in case you were wondering...I don't feel old...I feel about the same way I felt 10 years ago.  It was a fun evening and the girls were very nice; I hope to get to know them better.

Later that week a friend and her little girl were over.  We were making dinner for someone.  The little girl, C, is 3.  My age came up and when C heard that I am 29 she said "Your 29!" with shock written all over her face.  I said "Yep, I'm old huh!"  C frowned and said "No...you're little."  Phew!  If a 3 year old doesn't think I'm old I think I'm safe for a few more years!  That's assuming she meant that I am young and not short!  Haha!

We had a really fun date roasting s'mores up on the mountain again.  We really enjoyed the cooler weather and seeing the stars.  It's really nice to have the mountain so close.

We attended another birthday for a little girl who turned 6.  I love going to children's parties.  Allan is never really sure about it, but I know the fathers of the little girls are always relieved to see him and have someone to talk to through all the girlyness.  I went to this girls older sisters party earlier in the year.  Their mom does such a great job planning and executing these parties.  She has it down to an hour and a half with games, presents, lunch, and cake and ice cream.  She is a pro, and they are always so fun; the kids always have a blast. 

At this party I ate the first hot dog I have had in 13 or 14 years!  I'm not the biggest fan, but I did enjoy it.  One day I'm going to go back to Chicago and try a Chicago dog and discover what all the hype is about.

I finally finished the baby afghan  I was working on!  I had to take it out about 6 times (sheesh) but it's finally done!


I also made a mobile out of ribbon for our nursery.


I know the afghan and mobile are really girly.  We have felt for a long time that there is a little girl out there for us.  We were going to plan a neutral nursery, but we finally decided that we would embrace that feeling we have and plan a nursery for a little girl.  If we end up with a boy then we'll have a good laugh, celebrate, and then re-do the nursery.  Until then I plan on making it as girly as possible! ;)

We really enjoyed conference this weekend.  We love the extra cuddle time and the spiritual uplift.  I was especially touched by President Eyring's and Elder Oaks' talks.  After a lot of thought and prayer we decided not to do foster care at this time.  After hearing Elder Oaks talk we had to reconsider our decision.  There are so many children out there that need loving, nurturing homes, and we really want to provide that.  However, after much prayer again, the answer was still clearly no.  So, we will continue to wait.

Elder Eyring said "Many of us in moments of personal anguish feel that God is far from us.  The pavillion that seems to intercept divine aid does not cover God, but occasionally covers us. ...We can't insist on our timetable when the Lord has His own. ...Sometimes our insistance on acting according to our own timetable can obscure His will for us."

This talk was very fitted to me at this time.  The longer we wait the harder it is to accept God's will and timing.  And we've only been waiting for 4 years, we know many who have waited for 10 or more!  I certainly don't understand God's will and I have to admit that sometimes I just don't really like it.  But I know that is because I don't understand.  One day I will.  That will be a wonderful, long-awaited day.  Until then we are trying to take it one day at a time and trust God.  It's easier said then done, but He has never failed us yet.



1 comment:

  1. Love you both! Your posts always strengthen me and my faith, so thank you. And if your baby turns out to be a boy (we've found that happens too) just think of all the great gifts you'll have prepared for baby showers! You're so talented Kami.

    ReplyDelete