Sunday, November 13, 2011

A note from Allan

Kami wants me to write about the adoption conference from my perspective. I am glad that she does because our learning experiences were somewhat different. There was an adoption panel just for men that sounded kinda goofy to me, but the Spirit told me to go, so I went while Kami went to a different class. It's tough to split us up when we could be together, so I must've been feeling strongly about it.:) Since our first adoption orientation with our caseworker, it seems that all we have heard about is open adoptions and how open of a relationship we are comfortable having with a birthmother. This was a new idea for me that seemed strange, and that I was struggling with. The men on the panel were all big fans of open adoption, with two of them having extremely open relationships with their children's' birthmothers, so I asked them some questions. One of the two men with very open adoptions said that he was very opposed to an open adoption when he started the adoption process. He said though that when you see how much love a birthmother has for her child, you will want an open adoption. The other men also were able to say a lot of other things that has helped my heart to accept the idea of an open adoption.
The conference was a great experience that helped us learn a lot about adoption and that prepared our hearts for adoption. We learned a lot about special needs adoption and foster care and are opening our hearts to those two experiences as well. The biggest truth that I learned from the conference is that Heavenly Father is extremely involved in adoption as He supports and guides the birthmothers and the adoptive parents. He loves His children very much and works very hard to take care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment