Monday, October 24, 2011

60 + and 3 Year Olds

This week has been filled with more paperwork, but we're happy to say that our next phase of paperwork should be completed by the end of the week!  Woohoo!  Here's hoping!

Allan and I attended the Gila Valley Cowboy Poetry and Music Gathering for our date this weekend.  Just me, and Allan, and ... all the seniors in our community.  We often go to events where the majority of people are over 60.  I guess this tells you a bit about our tastes in entertainment!  Haha!  We do really enjoy spending time with older generations.  They are very good conversationalists and we love to hear all of the great stories they have to tell.  We always learn so much from them.  The show was a blast.  Our favorite was a woman poet named "Sam" DeLeeuw.  She told three or four of her poems about her life as a ranchers wife, her mother, and her alter-ego HILDA.  My favorite was the one that was inspired by her mother, however her alter-ego HILDA (a 6'4", 300 lb plus, trail drive camp cook) was hilarious!  If you're interested you can check out some of her poems at www.cowboypoetry.com/samdDeLeeuw.htm.  It was Allan's first time to hear cowboy poetry and he really enjoyed it.    

I babysat one of my primary kids and her little brother on Friday.  I had them from 8-5 and we had a blast!  I brought over my favorite game, Strawberry Shortcake's Strawberry Land, and she fell in love with it.  We ended up playing it about 10 times!  Then when her siblings came home we played it two more times!  I have had my fill of Strawberry Land for a while.  Allan will be glad!  She is a really sweet girl though.  She played really well with her brother.  We played outside, danced, sang, played Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders, and she showed me her tricks on the trampoline.  She also showed me her doll and her teddy bear and told me about how they didn't come from a store, they came from her belly!  What a cutie!  She was disappointed to learn that my doll, Elva, just came from Santa Claus.  When her older siblings got home from school the first thing they asked was "When will Allan be here?"  Allan came over when he got off of work and played football with them.  They loved that.  I think it's safe to say that we all had a lot of fun that day.

It was the Primary program this week at church.  In our ward they have all of the primary children, excluding the Sunbeams, sit on the stand for the entire sacrament meeting.  The Sunbeams sit with their teachers while the sacrament is passed and then go up to the stand.  So, Allan and I  had three, 3 year old boys sitting with us while the sacrament was passed (our two other children wanted to stay with their parents until the program began, thank goodness).  We ended up having a lot of fun with them and they did really well, even without any toys or coloring books.  They sat on the bench the whole time and Allan and I only had to tell them to be quiet a couple of times.  All of the kids did a great job during the program.  They sang all of the songs that they could remember the words to, and said their parts perfectly.  All but one of them even had their part memorized!  There is another Sunbeam class in our ward that also has 5 kids and they sat on the other side of the podium.  Their kids are like statues compared to ours.  Every time I looked over at them they were all sitting almost still in their chairs, looking straight forward, with smiles on their faces.  Our side of the podium however was a constant sea of moving, talking, and chair pushing!  I can only imagine what it looked like from the congregation!  Even though they talked the entire program, picked their noses, kicked the podium, stood up when they were supposed to sit down, and sat down when they were supposed to stand up, I was really proud of them!  They were pretty well-behaved ... for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment